Legal advice & casework

People who live in Melbourne’s east can seek legal help from Eastern Community Legal Centre for a range of legal matters, as determined by the Centre’s Legal Advice and Casework Guidelines.

Legal Advice

We offer legal advice on matters such as:

  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • Family Violence matters (including Intervention Orders)
  • Criminal Law (summary or simple matters only)
  • Traffic fines
  • Estate/Probate Matters
  • Crimes Compensation (Victims of Crime)
  • Motor Vehicle Accidents – property damage
  • Neighbourhood Disputes
  • Children’s Court (only if there is a conflict with Victoria Legal Aid)
  • Discrimination (not work-related)

If we cannot assist with your legal matter, we will provide you with a referral to another service.


In addition to legal advice and referrals, we provide some detailed assistance (casework) to clients.

Generally, casework is provided to people who need it the most, including but not limited to:

  • Centrelink recipients or low income earners
  • those with difficulty understanding or coping with the legal process
  • those who have other compelling circumstances such as associated mental problems or dire financial situations
  • those who present issues that have a public interest component.

We have strict guidelines regarding the types of matters we take on as casework.

To find out if ECLC can assist with your legal matter, please find further information here or contact us directly.

Page updated March 19, 2018
Go To Top