Independent research and Eastern Community Legal Centre’s (ECLC) experience has identified that some groups within the community are more likely to confront persistent barriers to getting help and managing legal problems.
ECLC therefore prioritises its services to the following community groups and aims to address the causes of the disadvantage they experience:
- Children and young people
- People experiencing or at risk of family violence
- Indigenous Australians
- Older people experiencing or at risk of elder abuse
- Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer peoples
- People who experience language or cultural barriers
- People experiencing or at risk of homelessness
- People with a disability or mental illness.
Find out more about ECLC’s priority communities on page 4 of its Strategic Plan 2020-23.