How ECLC can help

Eastern Community Legal Centre provides free legal advice by appointment only at the Centre’s offices in Box Hill, Boronia and Healesville and at outreach locations.

During Covid-19, ECLC will be providing telephone appointments.

To find out if we can assist with your legal matters, please refer to the information below or contact us.

Check out this animated clip that details the process and what people can expect when they call ECLC on 1300 32 52 00 to get free legal advice. Thank you so much for being patient with our intake team.

Who ECLC can help

People living in the local government areas of Boroondara, Knox, Manningham, Maroondah, Whitehorse and the Yarra Ranges can seek free legal advice from ECLC.

We may be able to assist you if you live in another local government area and a conflict of interest has prevented you from using your local community legal service.

We can only advise on certain legal matters, as determined by our Legal Advice and Casework Guidelines.

If we cannot assist you, we will provide you with a referral to another service.

Issues ECLC can help with

ECLC may be able to offer legal advice in the following areas:

  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • Family Violence matters (including Intervention Orders)
  • Criminal Law (summary or simple matters only)
  • Traffic fines
  • Estate/Probate Matters
  • Crimes Compensation (Victims of Crime)
  • Motor Vehicle Accidents – property damage
  • Neighbourhood Disputes
  • Children’s Court (only if there is a conflict with Victoria Legal Aid)
  • Discrimination (not work-related)

Issues ECLC can’t help with

For a range of legal and practical reasons, we do not offer advice or casework in the following areas:

  • Buying, selling or building contracts
  • Business-related law
  • Family Law Property
  • Lawyer complaints
  • Bankruptcy – contact a Financial Counsellor
  • Taxation
  • Employment issues*
  • Migration*
  • WorkCover & Personal Injury
  • Defamation
  • Wills

*except as part of the Sort It! Deakin Legal Service for Students.

Cancelling an appointment

If you cannot attend your appointment, please contact us to cancel.


Interpreters can help you to make an appointment and will translate information during the appointment.

We arrange interpreter services for you, free of charge.

We prefer to organise an interpreter for you, so you do not have to rely on family or friends to interpret. This also helps to maintain accuracy and confidentiality of legal information.

If you have booked an interpreter but can no longer attend your appointment, please contact us to cancel.

Client charter

People who seek assistance from ECLC are entitled to privacy, fair treatment and a safe and stress-free environment. Please contact us to request a copy of our Client Charter and privacy policies.

Frequently Asked Questions

Please click here to read our frequently asked questions.

Page updated January 9, 2024
Go To Top