Pre-election legal help policies
In the lead up to the 2019 Federal Election, ECLC contacted federal candidates for the House of Representatives from the major parties in its catchment.
ECLC respectfully asked candidates to outline their response to key issues facing communities in Melbourne’s east and the community legal sector, including:
- Access to legal help
- Prevention, early intervention and response to family violence
- Elder abuse
- Financial services/credit and debt/consumer law (and the Banking Royal Commission)
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander legal services
Click here to read a summary of the legal help policies the major political parties have announced (at May 6).
- Liberal-National Coalition response – received May 14
- Australian Labor Party response
- Fiona McLeod SC, Labor Candidate for Higgins
- Luke Arthur, Greens Candidate for Chisholm
- Shireen Morris, Labor Candidate for Deakin
ECLC’s letter to candidates can be accessed here.
Any further responses will be posted here as they are received.