Working with Falam Chin and Karen communities for gender equality
As part of the Matter of Respect project, Falam Chin and Karen community leaders in Melbourne’s east have led the development of a series of postcards and posters with messages around gender equality. They include:
- Strong boys cry posters (Falam Chin / Karen)
- Girls can be as loud as boys posters (Falam Chin / Karen)
- Dads can clean the house posters (Falam Chin / Karen)
- Women can lead posters (Falam Chin / Karen)
- Girls can be any size posters (Falam Chin / Karen)
- Girls can play with cars posters (Falam Chin / Karen)
National and international evidence demonstrates that gender inequality and rigid stereotypes are a predictor of violence against women.
Matter of Respect is a community-led project working with the Karen and Falam Chin communities in Melbourne’s east to challenge gender stereotypes and increase understanding of how to prevent family violence.